Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Review: Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case

Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case by Patricia Hruby Powell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was unfamilar with the Loving vs. Virginia case until a few months ago when I saw an ad on YouTube for the upcoming movie. While I am excited to see how it plays out on screen, I was even more excited to see a book about the case.

Not just a book, really, Loving vs. Virginia is a carefully crafted novel of blank prose, photos, pieces of legislation, illustrations, and other excerpts that bring to life the case that changed laws regarding interracial marriage. At its heart, though, this is a wonderful story about two children who grew up together and fell in love despite the laws and prejudices that were set against them and ultimately tried to tear them apart. Despite the obstacles they faced, Mildred and Richard shared an unflinching love.

I can’t wait to have an actual physical copy of this book to add to my collection.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment